Nefta in the history
Nefta exists since prehistory and was in the beginning a
38 after J-C all Jérid was conquered by Seplus Vibialianus.
The Roman domination will contribute to the propagation of the
686 the city became arabo-Moslem country after the arrival of
Okba Ibn Nafaâ. The Christians continued to reside at it.
690 was built Zaafrana or new Nefta.
710: Tarak Ibn ziad left Nefta with an army made up of 12
000 Berber in direction of Espagne.
833: the city was conquered by Soufiane Ibn Souda under the
régine aghlabites. Kairouan was the capital.
944: Nefta became a significant center of Khaouarej
1050: The last Christians left the city.
From the XIII 2nd century the current sunnite becomes
dominating after the arrival of Sidi Bou Ali.
This did not prevent the Sufism (current Islamic whose
followers spend their times to
prayer " dikhr " and being satisfied with the
minimum to live) to be propagated.
1301: construction of the mausoleums Sidi Bou Ali and Sidi
1642: Construction of a first school under the command of
1882: Nefta became a French protectorate.
1889: Construction of a center postal and telecommunications
authorities and a free Arab school which always exists.
1943: The army of Rommel made a halt with Nefta. There
never was of combat during this period in the area except eight bombs
released on the dunes by the forces of the axis, without making
1948: Distribution of running water in the dwellings and it
is only in the Fifties that electricity made its appearance. The
inhabitants lived gathering of dates, agriculture, the weaving of wool
for the burnous and the weaving of silk for the jebba (will gandoura).
Today Nefta is a delegation (sub-prefecture) and counts two
colleges, ten primary schools, a hospital, three pharmacies, tens of
hotels, an arts centre, a public library and a municipality.